Friday, July 30, 2010

Food Inc

Has anyone else here watched the documentary Food Inc ?
Here is the quick link to the issues the movie covers

Brief spiel "Food, Inc. lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing how our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. Food, Inc. reveals surprising and often shocking truths about what we eat, how it's produced and who we have become as a nation."


I really don't know what to say. I am horrified.
I also must have been living with complete blinkers on because I had no idea how many food products that I consume contain GM ingredients!


I started to take solace in thinking, well this is all in America...it isn't.

Just a quick look at True Food Network showed the US lobbying to block GE labelling in Australia


This is the blog associated with the film...Take Part
The DVD is available to purchase at Amazon - not sure if you would have to order it in elsewhere...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I purchased the DVD a month or so ago Cat, predominantly to have my children watch as I have been avidly reading much of the information for years across various web links.

Apart from the horrific side of consequences to come in latter years I am always saddened......we just do not learn or seem to care as a species...I won't dwell on it because it could make a person bonkers, I just watch how we eat and try to educate others when the opportunity arises.

Cwm Goch Chronicles said...

I'm not sure where I got it from but I had a sheet full of info about what brands 'may' contain GM foods and which didn't (actually it may have been from Digger's.)
Heaps of brands, but to be honest, none of the ones we buy as mostly that stuff is in processed or ready made type food.
We make so much stuff from scratch it didn't really affect us. And you would probably find the same. Will see if I kept it and pass it on if I find it.

Cathode said...

That True Food link in my post has lists of what contains GM products and what doesn't.
http://www.truefood.org.au/truefoodguide/

Capilano Honey is on the GM List!